Google snippets give you instant answers to your queries.
Snippets and cards are images, ratings, reviews and so on that enhance a search
engine result page (SERPs).
Rich search results highlight key information and
help search engines gain an understanding the page and its purpose. Implementing
rich search results such as cards and snippets can help your website stand out
from your competitors.
It requires a more astute developer to tag things such as
corporate logo, contact details, social media profiles, carousels and
breadcrumb navigation. Pretty much anything can be tagged to potentially appear
as a rich search result, from blogs & news articles to events, business
details and product information.
So why consider this?
It is a lot more difficult technically behind the scenes, but the results are huge. Rich searches appear right at the top of a SERP, in the coveted ZERO position above organic results. So even if you are not ranking organically, it gives you a fighting chance to get seen on Google.
The answers are detailed, displayed in a box and often more eye catching than a traditional search result and due to their eye-catching nature often have a higher click thru rate (which Google can only consider a good thing!)
Voice Command Searches
The benefit of rich results is also evident as the results work seamlessly with devices such as Google Home & Siri, so if a consumer is searching on the move and asks relevant questions searching for goods, rich snippets are played rather than a whole page of results. With an increase in voice search this can only be an advantage for businesses.
How to get the most from rich snippets?
Building and optimising your site around keyword snippets will increase your organic ranking, increase your websites traffic and decrease your websites bounce rate.
To get your business going with rich searches, here are a few basic tips:
- Provide partial answers and encourage click through. Ranking for a rich result is one thing but making sure it does not display everything is another. Ensure it displays just enough to encourage users to visit your website.
- Make sure users get an awesome user-experience (UX). Ensure your website is optimised, up to date with information, details and provides customers a user-friendly experience on-site.
- Embrace organic practices. To rank well and for rich results a website first and foremost must follow Googles SEO guidelines and best practices.
- Write in a natural style. Snippets rely on quality well written content, not content focused purely on ranking. Write in a conversational style, almost like you are talking to a customer. Once this is done keep on top of it and always freshen it up every few months.
- Work with a credible company. Web design companies often promise the world, do your research and work with the right company for your business. Outline why you want your site built in such a way to get found for rich snippets and many will be excited to work on such an interesting project!